Truth is, I cried a lot those first few weeks; April was a month of tears. Every time a new patron pledged, I wept. Some deep part of me was being brought into the light, the part of me that hated me, and loved to say, “You are not good enough, you will fail, your dreams are unworthy.” That part was being hugged and loved with every new pledge, shown that there are people all over the world who disagree…there are those who wish for me to succeed as much as I do and believe in me more than I believe in myself.
One year later I am supported by 158 Patrons (Nateives) who are pledging a grand total of $1400 every month!
Some fun facts:
- I have written 15 songs since launching my Patreon page, which is the most prolific I’ve ever been.
- I have shared 55 creations on Patreon.
- I have patrons from Germany, South Africa, USA, Canada, UK, India, Australia, Brazil…and so many more!
- In the middle of year one I broke my hand and shared poems instead of songs…and my Nateives were totally AWESOME about it.
- I wept for an hour on my dad’s couch after receiving the birthday gift that broke my heart, a secret gift from the Nateives, organised by Eli.
- I think I’ve cried more happy tears this last year than any other in my life, YAY!
The Birthday Gift That Broke My Heart (tear-jerker warning)
A Perfectly Timed Podcast/Interview:
Today an interview I did for the WeSpin Music Podcast went live, and I talk very openly and emotionally about my experience of Patreon and growing the community of Nateives. Thanks to Andrew Apanov for asking such great questions!
The podcast is really amazing for anyone who wants to get a deeper insight into the journey I’ve been on the last few years, and some of the things I’m planning for the future, so check it out and listen here: http://wespin.co/wsr32/.
Or, listen directly below:
A Brief Slideshow Of The Year’s Growth (where I remembered to record it)
The People Who Make This All Possible:
Thank you to EVERY SINGLE ONE of you Nateives, you beautiful people who commit to the art you love, who help me to bring more of it into the world. You have been the sun, the wind, the water, the nutrients to this tree that is me. I am so excited to continue sharing the journey with you all. THANK YOU I LOVE YOU!
An extra special humble thank you to the seventeen Nateives who have been with me for one whole year. I have no way of describing how much I appreciate your ongoing support. Special surprise coming for you very soon. Thank you with all my heart!
PS: To become a Nateive, pledge to support my art on Patreon right here: http://patreon.com/natemaingard